Find a PDF Printable version of the 2018 ISRSA Legislative Agenda: Link to our 2018 Legislative Agenda
2018 Legislative Agenda
118th General Assembly
THE INDIANA SMALL AND RURAL SCHOOLS ASSOCIATION BELIEVES:
- In the leadership of Local School Boards made up of engaged citizens closest to the school represent the most invested groups properly suited to guide the operation of the local school district while making important decisions involving budgets, leadership, curriculum, and district improvement.
- The Indiana General Assembly should fully fund new laws and administrative code mandates.
- All Redevelopment Commissions formed in Indiana should include an appointed non-compensated school board member or school board member designee as a voting member representing any school district located wholly or partly within the unit.
- The General Assembly should NOT adopt any entitlement bill to support Educational Saving Accounts (or similar program) that incentivizes the withdrawal of students from public schools to access a paid benefit.
THE INDIANA SMALL AND RURAL SCHOOLS ASSOCIATION SUPPORTS:
- Legislation and public policy that requires all Indiana schools receiving public funds be required to meet and report the same operational, academic and rigorous legal standards.
- Appropriate funding for all moderate or high-value funding for all CTE courses that fit within the four-year plan for high needs occupations.
- Legislation providing full funding or matching funds for Indiana Schools to specifically add School Counselors, who remove obstacles for students and improve the students’ ability to focus on learning in the classroom, to support the implementation of the new graduation pathways.